Interested in a day of workshops focused on preparedness? Who wouldn’t? Utah State University, BYU, and BeReady Utah have combined to host a day of classes and booths called the Utah Prepare Conference and Expo. Now, the title is rather similar to our name, but hey, it involves many groups that we rely on for well-researched information.
I’m really excited about this conference, in that it is *not* a sales machine. BeReady is the state organization charged with getting citizens ready for known disasters in the state, and it has teamed up with some of the best resources for preparedness around. Anybody who has done real research into local agriculture, animal husbandry, or food preservation has come upon materials published by the USU extension. They are the standard for food preservation testing in the country, and we love having them locally.
Of course, there are vendors there as well, so don’t fret about missing out on the “toys” and fun there as well, but the conference itself is not “consumer-first”, and that should mean a lot to real preppers.
It’s true, tickets don’t really cost very much, but even better when they are free. We have three tickets to give away! For a chance to win, you can do one of the following (and yes, you can enter each way).
- Comment on this post that you plan to attend
- Share a link for this contest from our Facebook page (sharing from the page lets us see and count it)
- Tweet a link that you are attending, and include our twitter account @UtahPreppers
April 14, 2012 8AM – 5PM
Davis Conference Center
1651 North 700 West, Layton, UT
Check out the flyer for the conference here: Utah Prepare Flyer (201)
Workshops Topics Include:
Check out the full agenda and start planning for your favorites. (Utah Prepare Conference Schedule)
- Earthquake Preparedness
- Using Your Food Storage
- Water Filtration and Storage
- Emergency Power and Fuel
- Containers and Oxygen Absorbers
- Raised Bed Gardening
- Grab and Go Boxes
- Mock Root Cellars
Special Guests Include:
- Nate Leishman, Manager of operation processes and logistics for humanitarian aid for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Tal Ehlers, EMT and founder of Ready2Prepare
- Crystal Godfrey, Author of Food Storage Made Easy (Some of our best Utah blogger friends)
- Joy Bossi, Author and host of Joy in the Garden radio show
- Karen Bastow, co-author and gardening business owner